Tuesday, 11 November 2008

Excerpt from Chapter 7

The following is an excerpt from one of Janey's letters to Brian:

Work is the same crap. I think I will start calling the hospital ‘Chateau Despair’ instead of ‘Camp Desperate’ though…oh guess I had better explain why heh?

They are trying to tell us that we are moving towards becoming a ‘leaner workforce’…how is that possible? We already are working with a skeleton staff most weeks due to the high sickness levels.



Long gone are the days when I could devote myself to caring for one couple in labour, now I have to take care of 3 at once as a minimum during my shift. I’ve noticed that more of the women I care for are using epidurals now and I am sure that is partly due to me not being able to give them as much of my time as they need. I long to have some job satisfaction again.

The women and their partners thank me afterwards and all I can think is’ You didn’t get the care you deserved, I’ve let you down through no fault of my own’… Oh Brian listen to me moaning and I have no right really do I? My working conditions are nowhere near as grim as yours. Sorry honey.

So tell me sweetie, what have you been up to with your delightful job? I heard rumours from Maddy that Spike’s going off on para exercises, so I guess that means you too if you are well enough. I hope they don’t drop you anywhere you can’t get out of. I know you are a skilled paratrooper darling but I never stop worrying about you unless you are home.


I wish you would consider leaving and getting a job that let you come home each night.

Missing you big time.
Love you so much xoxo

6 comments:

Carol said...

Brilliant as usual!!

C x

French Fancy... said...

Looking forward to reading the whole thing

DJ Kirkby said...

Hi Carol,
Thank you for the compliment.

Hi FF
Thank you! When you asked to be put on the reserve list, did you mean this book (which is still being written)or 'From Zaftig to Aspie' (which is due to be published in Dec '08)?

Unknown said...

Thought-provoking - "my working conditions are nowhere near as grim as yours." The strange thin,g is, the para would probably feel far more uncomfortable in a materinity unit than out in the field. It's a really interesting contrast between the occupations you've chosne for them - death vs life, and all that. Looking forward to the next excerpt

.

DJ Kirkby said...

Hi JD
Wow, I hadn't intentionaly done that but the juxtaposition is pleasing to my mind now that I am aware of it.

Mrs. Thoughtskoto said...

You have a nice blog here.
The black box brought here to your blog.....