Saturday, 11 October 2008

Excerpt from Chapter 6

In this excerpt you meet Pam's husband Dave. He has been unwell for some time and Pam has finally talked him into going to see their GP. She has left work early in order to be able to go to the appointment with him as she suspects he will find some way of avoiding it otherwise.


'Hello?' Pam called as she entered the warmth and light of their home, easing her way carefully past their determined cat who always tried to escape out the front, despite having open access to the huge rear garden.

This house was a gem, they’d had the good sense to buy it during the last recession and over the years had worked on it with loving care. They had bought it cheap and paid it off before the mortgage ended and for that Pam was thankful as it meant the income from her job was more than adequate for their minimal expenses.

Pam heard a mumble from upstairs. Dave must be in the bedroom, she hoped he wasn’t still asleep, he seemed to spend a lot of time napping lately. She climbed the stairs trying to ignore the twinge in her knees, what was that all about anyway?

Dave was sitting on the end of their bed, staring at himself in the mirrors on their wall to wall wardrobes. He was naked.

‘Dave, honey? You need to get dressed; your doctor’s appointment is in 30 minutes.’

‘They phoned to cancel it!’

‘Oh...shit. Well when is your next one? They did offer you another?’

‘Yup, on Tuesday but it was with another doctor so I refused it. They said I will have to go back into the queue and phone on Tuesday to make another appointment with my doctor.’

Pam felt her face flush with exasperation.

‘Dave! Why didn’t you take the appointment they offered you? Another wait, after already waiting all this time? You're playing a dangerous game by messing about with your health….’

Dave stopped Pam mid rant by saying, ‘Getting older sucks, doesn't it? I look in the mirror and it makes no sense.’

Pam sat down and wrapped her arms round her husband. ‘Oh sweetie…you are so right, it makes no sense whatsoever’.

Dave scrunched down till his head was on her shoulder. In the mirror she could see his eyes were closed and on her skin could feel the warmth of his silent tears.

12 comments:

Lady in red said...

awww they both need a hug

poor Pam taking time off for this appointment then it was cancelled and poor Dave for feeling so low.

They need something good to lift their spirits and get Dave back to his usual self so Pam won't have the constantly worry about him.

DJ Kirkby said...

Hi Lady,
You want something good to happen to Pam and Dave? Okay I'll see what I can do later on in the book, no promises though...

tsduff said...

Oh man, there is so much squeezed into that excerpt. I suppose it because I relate to just about all of it that I can picture it so well. My husband became sickly, (diabetes, liver failure) and finally succumbed much to my surprise. I wasn't really expecting him to die. He did not like the doctor either.

Posh Totty said...

Having a diabled son and fiancee I can relate to that so well, although we are not old. That was very well writen and very emotional too, I almost felt myself welling up with them.

DJ Kirkby said...

Hi TS
I think that excerpt highlights one of the greatest fears a woman can have. Men seem, as a gender, reluctant to visit the Dr. My man is always worried the Dr will think him a fraud. I am sorry to read of your huge and unexpected loss.I will make the next excerpt a happier one. xo

Hi Posh
Thank you so much. I too have a disabled son and a man I love and this part of the book was written when I feared for my man's health. I will make the next excerpt a happy one.

Lady in red said...

all ther time I was reading this excerpt I was thinking about Chopper and how he is getting on

DJ Kirkby said...

Hi Lady
I thought you'd 'get that' from this excerpt. No news yet but he is no worse thankfully. He has now had a hip and spine xray and he gets those results to day. xo

Carol said...

I too read this and thought of Chopper. Hugs to you both and to your characters!!

C x

Ps. Just goes to show what a talented lady you are....you give us a taster and have us caring about the characters immediately!!

French Fancy... said...

I've come to you from France via Black Boxes. Please make Dave go to the doctor sooner.

DJ Kirkby said...

Oooh hello FF
I think your profile pic is just wonderful. Welcome to this blog of mine. I can't make Dave go to the doctor sooner, these men...so reluctant to see the family doctor...tsk.

French Fancy... said...

I've returned to see how Dave is feeling but there's no news. You just want me to buy the book :) - well, i WILL

DJ Kirkby said...

Hi FF
Oh I am very sorry! I always work on at least 2 books at the same time and am presently distracted by my other novel in progress, 'Garden of Eden' which is a modern Western. So that is why I have not been posting from 'The Plump WAG's Club'. I will sort out an excerpt over the next couple of days but I probably won't post an update on Dave for a while! Thank you so much for coming back and hope to see you again soon. xo