Saturday, 28 June 2008

Excerpt from chapter two

In this excerpt you meet Gina, who was introduced in the latter part of Chapter one and her husband Macey.

‘Macey? I’m home, lover!’ Gina closed the door and gave it a nudge with her heel to click it fully shut. Each summer the old door and window frames on their cottage swelled and each winter they shrank back to their normal size. Shame my body wasn’t as obliging Gina thought grumpily. Well she had the swelling part down to a fine art, it was just the shrinking that she needed to do more of and she’d even be happy if it was on a seasonal basis!

She could hear the sound of Macey’s (Mason to his parents), warbling coming from the bathroom. He was incapable of showering without lavishing the tiles with his less than dulcet tones. Gina put the kettle on and busied herself making a cup of tea. Lost in her thoughts, she let out a gasp when Macey wrapped his arms round her from behind.

‘How’d the weigh in go pet?’

‘Erm…not that well…I left after about 5 minutes of listening to the 'leader' instruct the class.’

‘Given up on the idea of us havin a baby?’ Macey nuzzeled his mouth on the back of her neck sending shivers to all the right places. ‘The doc said losin weight is gonna help loads wiv you fallin preggers.’

Gina turned round to face Macey and wrapped her arms round his waist. ‘No babes, not a chance but I aint gonna be able to shift the poundage in a club fulla peeps I don’t like! I met some girls that are legend and we’se starting up our own club! Whotcha reckon?’

‘Good on ya! Now whatcha say to a bit of indoor sports to help you burn off some of those calories?’ Macey leaned over her and placed his mouth against her ear before wafting a ‘Raaaaar’ sound her way.

Gina felt her flesh goose pimple in anticipation. ‘It’s just give, give, give with you Macey, such a generous man you are to be always thinking of your wife!’

Macey watched intently as Gina tilted her face up to his, her eyes crinkling as she laughed. He felt that same swoopy, tilting sensation as he fell in love with her all over again, just as he did several times each day since the moment they had met 5 years ago. What a woman!

8 comments:

Lady in red said...

aww I like Macey, there should be more of him in the world

DJ Kirkby said...

Hi LiR
Yep Macey is a bit of a rough diamond. He hasn't featured much in the novel since this chapter so I must rectify that.

nitebyrd said...

Macey sounds like a good guy. Not many of them around.

My friend's grandson is named Macey - your book is the only other time I've heard the name.

DJ Kirkby said...

Hi Nitebyrd
I have no idea where the name came from, it wa sjust there when I wanted a name for Gina's hubby. I like the name a lot too. He is a good guy and I hope he will stay that way throughout the book.

tsduff said...

I love the part about the swoopy, tilting sensation of falling in love all over again... I know that feeling well as I look at my own Love :) It feels just like that.

DJ Kirkby said...

Hi TS
Oh yes it sure does and long may it last.

Anonymous said...

Thought the writing what I call 'friendly' accessible which I like. No particualr tricks. Not ostentatious. It seems, Denise, that you are a real story-teller in a modern setting. Also what I like, knowing you are a midwife, is that you are using what you know about that other people don't.

DJ Kirkby said...

Hello anon
Thanks. How did you know I was a midwife?