Wednesday, 6 August 2008

Excerpt from chapter 3

In this chapter Janey, Gina, Trish and Pam have the inaugural meeting of their own diet group.

Janey and Gina loitered at the end of the aisle pretending to examine the goods displayed gaudily on the shelves.

Enchante. The words on the label glowed as if it they were plugged in.

‘Yeah right’, Janey said cynically, nudging Gina and pointing to the bottle.

Gina lifted it cautiously off the shelf and held it at arms length as if it might bite her. ‘It smells like a scent someone young enough to read fairly tales would think was tremendously grown up.’

‘Oooh look it has a price to match the age bracket!’

‘Yup, cheap enough to buy it and use as air freshener!’ They laughed and moved a few steps further along, eyeing the queue at the till. There were only 2 people left to pay for their products.

‘Shall we make our way there now?’ Janey asked and Gina nodded.

‘You want to go first? I’ll stand beside you and block everyone's view!’ Gina offered.

‘Yep, lets get this over with.’ Janey said taking a deep breath, before she stepped onto the electronic scales, coin pinched at the ready. ‘It doesn’t say my weight out loud does it?’

‘No! Impossible, no one would use it if it did, would they?’ Gina spoke with her back to Janey.

She whispered over her shoulder to Gina’s back. ‘Hey, you can watch y’ano, you’ll find out what it is soon enough anyway!’

The scales were kindly mute, instead printing the weight out onto a slip of paper. A mechanically printed total was what their small group had decided would be an acceptable method of honest weight reporting. Janey and Gina made their way to the high street with their individual slips of paper.

Gina said ‘Ready to go meet Trish and Pam?’

‘More than!'

Talking, laughing and window shopping, they made their way through the crowded high street to the relative quiet of the park.

10 comments:

Annie Wan said...

ooh i think you should doctor this post so enchante is in a neon colour - who am i telling you how to write your story eh?

but i read the other excerpts and it sounds like fun

DJ Kirkby said...

Hi Mei
I did consider it but wasn't brave enough! I will do it now, thanks. xo

Annie Wan said...

funny that was exactly the colour i imagined it too! btw i read your stories of when you were little and your lovely mum and i loved them too

Lady in red said...

lol this had me nodding again, I have on occasion wanted to weigh myself on these scales but been to embarrassed incase anyone saw what the weight said.

very well written

DJ Kirkby said...

Hi Mei
Glad you like my stories from my childhood. I am hoping to find a publisher for it but it is challenging to get non fiction published.

Hi lady
Well we have dieted together and so of course a little of you is written into this book. Those scales though...I used them after I had N3S as we don't keep scales in the house and I nearly died the first time I stepped on them worrying that it would announce my weight to the world!

Lady in red said...

dj I don't know about you but I have tried to stick vaguely to the diet (if that makes sense) and had been thinking about getting back into the habit of posting on the diet blog again I think I need the discipline to encourage me to stick to it more strictly

Unknown said...

I can't stand to get on scales in public where they show your weight to anyone passing by. I've never seen one that prints it out.

Good story. I love the dialogue.

DJ Kirkby said...

Hi Lady
Having seen the pics taken of me recently tells me that I need lashings of discipline.

Hi Ashley
I have only ever seen these type of scales in England. They have them in pharmacies. I am so pleased you like the story and espescially pleased that you like the dialogue which is something I struggle with.

tsduff said...

Hmmm - a scale that prints a receipt is amazing! That way you can't fudge with what you think the scale said... great idea ;)

DJ Kirkby said...

Hi TS
There actually are scales like that over here in England at one of our major pharmacy stores.