‘Hello sweetie!’ Pam rose from her seat to peck Gina on the cheek.
‘Hiya!’ Gina wrapped her arms around Pam for a quick hug.
They had become fast friends despite their age difference. Pam said that Gina was like the daughter she’d never had. At 12 years her senior the maths just about worked though Pam looked years younger than her actual age of 45. She had a flair for dressing in the most trendy clothes without looking as if she had mixed her mutton inappropriately with fashion’s lamb.
Gina’s loved being mothered by Pam. She had already confided more to Pam than she ever had to her step mother. She wasn’t sure if she felt guilty about this or nor. Gina had always got on with her step mother. She had been very careful to never try to ‘take’ her mother’s place and perhaps that was exactly why Pam felt more like a mother figure to Gina. A girl needs a mother thought Gina.
Her mom had died of ovarian cancer the year Gina turned 12. She went to sleep one night and woke the next day to find her mother gone. She had been admitted to hospital in the middle of the night, the cancer had spread to her lungs making it hard for her to breath and she never came home again.
When her mom died, it seemed as if she had taken some of the life from her father as well. She remembered watching her dad’s shoulders droop as the coffin was lowered into the ground. Even though he had been happily married to her step mother for an impressive number of years, that slope had never gone from his posture.
Gina supposed she had the emotional equivalent to her dad’s disturbed physical equilibrium. She had been told he was ‘hard to reach’, ‘distant at times’, ‘unapproachable’. Not her Macey though, he loved her through and through and now Pam was reaching out to her and smoothing the frayed edges that had appeared when her mother vanished.
Only a baby could make her life anymore perfect than it was at the moment.
Saturday, 30 August 2008
Excerpt from chapter four
Copyright © DJ Kirkby 2007 - All Rights Reserved
Posted by
DJ Kirkby
at
00:40
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

21 comments:
At last! I have been on tender hooks waiting for this.
'Her mom had died when Gina of ovarian cancer '
this line doesn't work but you just need to take out ....when Gina
other than that great as always.
I love the different levels of relationships you have put into this short piece
Hi Lady
Thank you for the proof read! Glad you are enjoying this. When I was writing 'Without Alice' readers feedback helped guide me through the writing of the novel. I wanted it to be a novel that took readers out of their own lives and into the book. I hope I achieved that and I want to do the same with this book too.
you are very welcome, I also enjoyed the early excerpts from without Alice just sorry I missed out on reading more of it.
I envy your discipline and inspiration
Now that I've started reading, I can't wait for more!
I'm an awful proof-reader, my brain tends to just skip over then fill in what might be incorrect!
Hi Lady
Thank you. I hope you enjoy reading 'Without Alice' in its entireity next year. My 'discipline' is not what it seems, I have no choice but to write, I love writing.
Hi Nitebyrd
What a lovely thing to say, thank you!
arrived via blackbox, so pleased I did. Can't wait for the next chapter now, you write very well.
Not read any blogs for ages, then the black box apeared and i'm visiting all sorts of places, glad to come to you!!
Hi Inthemud
How lovely to see you here. Thank you so much for saying you like my writing. I thought you knew I had this blog. I started it when I was writing 'Without Alice' which is being published next year. Readers comments spurred me on to finish wiritng it and I am sure the same will happen with 'The Plump WAG's Club'. I am addicted to playing with the Black Boxes widget too. xo
intriguing excerpt....interesting relationship set up.
Here from the black boxes widget :-)
Writing is so satisfying, good for you for living your dream.
I am also here from black boxes.
Oooh! Look where the black box has brought me----how interesting!
Great writing!
I love blogging I feel so free when writing.
Hi, I took the magic carpet ride though the black box and voila...a writer appeared! I always wanted to write when I was young. Nancy Drew books were my youthful inspiration. I love the fact that you are following your dream! Nice to meet ya!
Hi Liz
Thanks, I find posting excerpts gives me a reason to keep writing as my readers want to read what ahppens next.
Hi Hullabrouhaha
I fit my dream in aorund working full time and raising my children. I would love to write full time...
Hi Aims
Thank you very much. Black boxes is great fun.
Hi SSC
You've been on one of my other blogs too 'From Zaftig to Aspie'. Writing is great 'cos it allows you to be whoever you please or even several people at once in the case of this book.
Hi Stevie
Nice to meet you too, I am coming to visit you in a minute. I have been writing since I was very young. You can find some of that over on my 'From Zaftig to Aspie' blog. I squeeze my dream of being a writier in between working full time and raising my children. It is a bit of a struggle but the writing shouts loudly...
ooooh this book looks great!!
I came by way of the black box...
Hey came here through the Little Black Box!
Good luck with the book :)
Hi Cheryl
Thank you and welcome to one of my blogs. Please come again and have a look round my other blogs.
Hi Sameera,
Welcome! Thanks for your good wishes.
i found you through black box, very intriguing stuff...
I can't believe it took this long to land here via the black box.. I'm bookmarking this thing so I can come back. you did stop in the other day to one of my blogs, I'm just sorry it took me this long to get here..
Ken,
Hi Junction Mama
Welcome and thank you!
Hi Ken
Welcome to yet anothe rof my blogs! Thank you so much for bookmarking me, the next excerpt is going up soon but it is interest from readers that keeps me writing so thank you once again!
Hi
Visiting via the black box, enjoying your writing muchly x
Hi AuntieGwen
Thank you so much and please do visit again. The next post is going up soon!
Post a Comment